Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, October 14, 2011

Women of God, Women of Virtue



As I have thought a lot over the past few months about what it means to me to be a righteous daughter of God, this scripture of the virtuous woman in Proverbs keeps coming to mind.  

"Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies." (Proverbs 31:10)


I have always loved this scripture in Proverbs and it takes on so much more meaning to me when understood with the definition of virtue given by Pres. James E. Faust, in his talk entitled The Virtues of Righteous Daughters of God.  (To read it click here) President Faust said this about virtue:
"Many people do not fully understand the meaning of virtue. One commonly understood meaning is to be chaste or morally clean, but virtue in its fuller sense encompasses all traits of righteousness that help us form our character.
 I like that the verses directly following Proverbs 31:10 go on to tell us what a virtuous woman looks like.  Some of her traits include:


trustworthy
dependable
good
industrious
strong
compassionate
giving
prepared
honorable
wise
kind
not idle
good mother
good wife
worships God
(Proverbs 31:11-31)

In his talk President Faust also gives us a list of virtues for us to pursue in "our quest for excellence and happiness."  They are:
1 .Faith
2. Honesty
3. Chasity
4.  Humility
5. Self-Discipline
6.  Fairness
7.  Moderation
8.  Cleanliness
9.  Courage
10.  Grace

I think all of these virtues follow along so well with the verses in Proverbs, and to me these are the qualities that a righteous woman of God should have or should be working to obtain.  Since what I want most to be is a virtuous woman of God, what better way to learn how to be one then to ask those who already are. I know many wonderful women who exemplify theses qualities and who are examples to me of virtuous women of God, so I thought I would get to know them better and learn all of their secrets by interviewing them. 
That said, I am changing the name of my "Great Mom"  interviews to "Women of Virtue" interviews, and  I am planning ("planning" being the key word here) on interviewing someone each Friday, so check back.  

The virtuous woman I interviewed this week is my great friend Rebekah.  Rebekah is a wonderful wife and mother to 4 great kids ranging in age from 9 to 1. Rebekah is cheerful and fun to be around.  She also has a love for truth and knowledge that is  infectious.  Rebekah is a great example to me of someone who is not afraid to stand up for what she knows to be right.  Rebekah homeschools her kids and also writes a blog to inform voters about local candidates and issues.   I could go on, and on, but instead I will let you hear directly from her yourself.  


What are some of your favorite things about being a mother? It’s easy for me to think of my favorite things about being a mother.  I love cuddling with my kids first thing in the morning.  There are so many instances of joy that come from being a mother.  Because I don’t want to forget those instances I have a small journal for each child where I quickly jot down the moments of joy so I don’t forget.  Reading them aloud once in awhile for a family activity is always great.  

A wife?
Wow, I haven’t ever pondered this.  Honestly I think that is something I need more time to think on.  I would venture to say I’m not unusual in this aspect.  More of us wives should be seeking out the joy in being a wife.  I’ll bet if we do our marriages would be even better.

What does being a woman of God mean to you?
I feel like the Little Engine That Could.  I think I can, I think I can….  Someday I’ll make it but it takes vigilance and hard work to endure to the end.  I think too often, in our day of easy come easy go, we bulk at those principles.  That’s just it though, they are true principles and as daughters of God we need to be seeking out true principles, applying them to our own life, and teaching them to those in our circle of influence.  This is what I try to do, I know I’m not perfect at it but that is what grace and repentance are for.  What a merciful Heavenly Father we have!



What do you do to maintain a strong relationship with God?  
Although I find my efforts to rarely be a consistent habit I try to do all the typical Sunday school answers.  Pray daily, read my scriptures, attend church, pay tithing, and serve others.  All these things are basics that are repeated to us because we need them.  They are the foundation stones for growing faith and testimony.  I have always strived to do these things and have been blessed in my efforts despite my shortcomings. 

Do you think having a strong relationship with God affects your relationships with your husband and children and if so how?
Oh yes, in all aspects of life.  I am more patient and less judgmental.  When I try to focus on Heavenly Father and true principles more I am much more forgiving and happy.  Time to reassess and adjust again.  Thanks for the reminder. 

How did being sealed together as a family in the temple bring you joy?  
My experiences in this matter have born testimony to me that God is real and he hears and answers our prayers. The trial of faith has born the fruit of joy through the plan of happiness and salvation. Knowing that we are an eternal family brings peace of mind.
   
What is your favorite conference talk or quote on marriage or motherhood?
I have a growing notebook of “classic” talks.  Several are from Julie B. Beck including Mothers Who Know.  
Another is by 
Dallin H. Oaks Good, Better, Best 

What do you think was the most valuable thing you learned from your mother about womanhood or motherhood?
She taught me great skills every woman and mother should have, like how to cook and currently how to knit.  She is also a wonderful example of dedication to the Lord.

Thanks so much Rebekah, you are a great friend and a great example.  



  
You can check out Rebekah's blog here  

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Thank you, Kim, for your encouraging image of me. Maybe we would all go easier on ourselves if we looked at ourselves with an outside perspective sometimes. I've never thought of myself as a woman of virtue, it's a tall order to fulfill (and I'm rather short ;)).

Now, who get's to interview you? Will you have a guest blogger post an interview on you on your blog? That would be great because you are a great woman of virtue too!

Dahlia said...

Great interview. Rebekah, you are truly a wonderful example to me. Thank you Kim for doing these interviews - it's so nice to read about other inspiring women/mothers - and also ask ourselves some reflective questions along the way :)